Director – Forensic Services
Accredited Forensic Accounting Specialist (CA ANZ)
Personal injury claims
Dependency / Compensation to relatives claims
Income Protection and Superannuation Claims
Cost of modified motor vehicles
Michael is a Director in the Vincents Forensic Accounting unit. His primary area of expertise is the calculation of economic loss resulting from personal injury and property disputes.
Michael has provided expert opinion in the following jurisdictions for plaintiffs and defendants:
- Supreme Court (QLD, NSW, VIC & WA)
- District Courts (QLD, NSW, VIC & WA)
- Federal Court of Australia
- Industrial Court (NSW)
- Dust Diseases Tribunal of NSW
- Retail Shop Leases Tribunal of QLD
- Compensation Courts of the United Kingdom.
- Compensation Courts of France
- Compensation Courts of the United States
Notable matters Michael has prepared expert reports in relation to include:
- The Sydney Harbour ferry disaster
- Lockhart River air tragedy
- Air Moorea air tragedy
- MH370 air tragedy
- French v QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited  QSC 15
- Yamaguchi v Phipps & Anor  QSC 151
- Amy Savage v The Nominal Defendant  NSWDC 33
- Panagoulias v The East Metropolitan Health Service (No 4)  WADC 118
- Bow v Axon & Anor  QDC – Unreported
- Niebour-Pott & Anor v Pott  QSC 7
- Waks v Cyprys & Ors  VSC 44
- Plaintiff A and B v Bird; Plaintiff C v Bird; Plaintiff D v Bird  NSWSC 1379
Michael has prepared Overseas Assessments for persons who are residents of:
Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Canada, China, England, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Republic of Mauritius, Serbia, Singapore, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates and the United States of America.
- Chartered Accountant Australia & New Zealand (CA ANZ)
- Accredited Forensic Accounting Specialist (CA ANZ)
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accountancy)
Michael joined Vincents as an Associate in 2005 and has over 20 years of experience as a Forensic Accountant. Prior to pursuing his interest in litigation support, Michael worked as a tutor in accounting, mathematics and statistics and as a researcher and advisor in both the Commonwealth and State parliamentary system.
- Chartered Accountant Australia & New Zealand (CA ANZ) – Member
- National Association of Forensic Economists – Member
- CA ANZ, Forensic Accounting Special Interest Group (FASIG) – Member
- Australian Lawyers Alliance – Member
Publications relating to Dependency / Compensation to Relatives / Lord Campbell's Claims
Michael co-authors the following papers:
- “Personal Consumption Percentages in Australia – Current Tables for 2018”
- “Agreed statistical tables for loss of financial dependency in Australia”
- “Personal Consumption Percentages in Australia – Current Tables for 2015”.
- “Dependency Percentages in Australia Revisited – Estimating Personal Consumption using Statistical Data”.
Michael is also the author of 'Damages in Dependency', Precedent, Issue 151, March / April 2019.
He is a regular presenter in his areas of specialty including talks for the Queensland Law Society, Australian Lawyers Alliance, Brisbane Insurance Forum and College of Law. Michael is regularly invited to provide in-house seminars assisting solicitors and claims officers in understanding the assessment of damages in personal injuries matters.
Loss of Superannuation Publications
- Impact of Super Changes – 2020 Update
- Impact of Super Changes – 2019 Update
- Impact of Super Changes – 2018 Update
- Impact of Super Changes – 2017 Update
- Impact of Super Changes – 2016 Update
- Impact of Super Changes – 2015 Update
- Impact of Super Changes – 2014 Update
- Impact of Super Changes – NSW – 2012 Update
- Impact of Super Changes – QLD – 2012 Update